The Bill Warner Memorial
Sky Bunny Postal Contest
Labor Day Weekend 2020 - The results are in!!
We are very happy to report that at least 80 people participated in the contest! There were likely many more who flew, but we only heard from those who reported their times. This was a fun contest; and if you don't believe it, consider that the youngest participant was only 4 years old and the oldest was 88...!!
The Sky Bunny truly has a universal appeal, and we are planning on making this an annual event on Labor Day weekend.
Flight times ranged from 2 seconds to nearly 8 minutes, but no matter how your model flew, we hope that everyone had fun.
...and the winners are...
Junior Category (18 entries)
Winner: Daniel Carreno, age 13 - 1 minute, 51 seconds
Second: Gary Dietz, age 10 - 1 minute, 12 seconds
Third: Anona Davis, age 8 - 1 minute, 5 seconds
Senior Category (6 entries)
Winner: Mike Basta, age unknown - 2 minutes, 6 seconds
Second: Tomas Carreno, age 16 - 1 minute, 36 seconds
Third: Jeremy Brown, age 15 - 1 minute, 24 seconds
Open Category (56 entries)
Winner: Mike Makepeace, age 72 - 7 minutes, 57 seconds
Second: Vickie McClellan, age unknown - 7 minutes, 30 seconds
Third: Frank Rowsome, age 80 - 4 minutes, 38 seconds
A simple contest for fun and to honor the memory of the Sky Bunny designer, Bill Warner. This will be a 'postal' contest, so named from the days when contestants mailed in their entries.
- The contest is for rubber-powered free flight Sky Bunny models. The model must be "built to the plans" with no major modifications.
- Official flights must be made between Saturday September 5, 2020 and Monday September 7th, 2020.
- Each pilot can make unlimited attempts to get his or her single, longest flight time. Use a stopwatch or smartphone timer app.
- Timing starts at model launch and stops when the models touches the ground, goes out of sight during the flight, or contacts any structure, tree, etc.
- One entry per pilot. No entry fee.
- Report your results to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 8, 2020. Please include the names of the pilot and timer, single best flight time and pilot's age. A photo is welcome but not required.
- Updates and further information will be posted on this page!
Winners will be announced in three age categories:
JUNIORS: Those who are less than 15 years of age.
SENIORS: Those who are 15 years of age but less than 19 years of age.
OPEN: Those who are 19 or more years of age.
Q: Is the model hand-launched or does it need to take off (R.O.G)?
A: This is a hand-launch contest.
Q: Is there a 'builder of the model' rule?
A: The model does not have to be built by the participant, but we strongly encourage those participating to build their own Sky Bunny as an honor to Bill Warner, who loved to teach about building models. The best way to learn to build is to build...!
Q: What size rubber motor may be used?
A: Any - there are no restrictions on rubber motor.
Q: Can I cover my Sky Bunny with plastic film instead of tissue?
A: Yes - covering materials are up to the builder.
Q: Can I leave the landing gear off to save weight?
A: No - contest models must be built per the plan with no major airframe alterations.